Monday, February 22, 2016

Introduction

Praised be Jesus Christ!

Now and forever. Amen.

Hello out there!

My name is Christopher Snaith, and I'd like to introduce myself. I'll share a little bit about myself, and tell you why I'm starting up this blog.

I was born a heathen, but my parents baptized me quickly into the Catholic Church in my infancy. I come from a large, traditionally sinful, Catholic family of 10 (8 kids, 2 parents), of which I happen to be the baby. Now, some of you might be thinking that because I am the baby, I'm the spoiled one. While I'd like to say that's true, and perhaps it was and maybe still is, I can honestly say I never took advantage. That's likely because I was largely oblivious to the fact. God created me with an inwardly attentive disposition, and a love of learning and creativity. What that really meant was that, within a very boisterous family, I endured much teasing. That's okay though, because it kept me humble. And in that humility, I simply strove to succeed in whatever I happened to be doing. That was a good recipe for academic success.

Back in the 90's, my parents made a difficult decision, which was to pull all of us children out of public/"Catholic" school and homeschool us themselves. This had its pros and cons. My parents did not have a background in academics, so passing that on to us was a struggle. What we learned from it, though, was very important. We learned integrity, dedication, hard work, and most importantly, how to live with really difficult people day in and day out. I was fortunate to have the disposition that I did, and found it much easier to learn simply through slogging through the texts than my siblings did.

When I was 15, my parents sent me to a private boarding school (they had also sent two of my brothers there ahead of me, so I was quite keen to go) in North Dakota that was run by Franciscan Friars of Mary Immaculate, an order (and school) that was founded by Fr. David Przedwiecki. Those were really great formative years for me. We attended daily Mass, performed a daily examination of conscience at noon, and attended a holy hour each evening, which included the Rosary, exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, Benediction and Night Prayers. All the boys at the school learned to serve the English, Polish and Latin Novus Ordo Masses, as well as the Tridentine High and Low Masses.

We engaged in daily scripture study, and daily catechesis, over and above our regular subjects. School trips were a big thing, and included an annual March for Life attendance. Each year the Senior class would take a trip to Europe, which always included a visit to Rome and of course St. Peter's. That meant fund raising, which included fish fry's, singing tours at Parishes around several States, and sales of recorded hymns (recorded at a Parish in Detroit).

During my class trip to Italy, we spent 8 days in Rome, we sang for the Pope (St. John Paul II) during the Wednesday audience, played a soccer game with the Swiss Guard, and took a private tour of the Vatican gardens. If you think that's impressive, my oldest brother Anthony's class got to sit down with Pope St. John Paul II for a 45 minute interview, after which, they had a photo taken with him (and my brother is standing shoulder-to-shoulder with him). Cool huh?

After high school, I went to college and university. I now have a degree in Business Administration, and I've been working in Alberta for a few years now. I regularly listen to Catholic Radio (EWTN and affiliates), engaging in discussions at Catholic.com, and I find that, to the glory of God, I have been blessed with both knowledge and understanding of God, and the Church He gave us. I have decided to begin blogging as a way of sharing all that stuff that's rolling around in my head, in the hopes that someone, anyone, might find it helpful. I encourage discussion, and am absolutely open to correction. You're going to have to prove you position, though.

This blog is going to be filled with opinion, as well as knowledge, information, citations and certainly error, despite my best efforts. If you like what I have to say, drop a line and let me know. If you don't like what I have to say, you can let me know that too. At the end of the day, I just hope you enjoy what you're reading, and are willing to share this with people you know.

Thanks for reading, and may God bless you abundantly!


No comments:

Post a Comment